Monday, February 26, 2007

ashes to ashes

I was raised Catholic. I'm not sure what I am now, but there are certainly a few traditions of Catholicism that I still admire. One of them is Ash Wednesday, which I recently participated in, as I do most every year. It's a somber day that begins Lent, and it really provokes rather introspective thought as a priest puts the ashes of palms on your forehead while saying, "Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

Depending on where I am in life, I always take this comment in a different way each year.

Sometimes I think, "Life is short, so I'd better have fun now."

But, sometimes, I think, "If I'm worried about something now, I shouldn't be. Because one day, I'll be dead and it won't matter."

And, this year, I thought, "If this gives me a huge zit in the middle of my forehead before my trip to Mexico, I'm gonna be PISSED."

No comments: