Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pretentiousness Is Expensive

I went to an art show today and made my first real art purchase.

After drinking the free wine, I somehow thought I could afford it.

But what I really learned today is this: Never discuss art in public.

Every person I walked by - even if they had something valid to say about a piece - sounded like a pretentious asshole.

It is simply impossible to sound cool, colloquial, casual, intelligent, substantial, eloquent, and/or not at all annoying when forcing your views on an inanimate object out loud and in public.

That's why art is so expensive: so you can bring it home and do that in the privacy of your own home, without making a fool out of yourself.

6 comments:

ajgentile said...

Let's see what you bought...

thursday31190 said...

not when feelings are involved when someone does something with deep meaning, you can kind of tell even if it is crappy, or not artistic due to the standards other people set, the explanation behind the art proves this fact, even if you can't directly relate to it, it's good to just talk to the artist for awhile to relate to at least something, or at least get some conversation going towards the direction of breaking down some societal stigmas and barriers which basically are the basis of much artwork.

Holmes Caymen said...

Those feelings that you describe make me think of my first "save" I made as lifeguard on the shores of Atlantic City. I paddled out, red swimsuit laced to my body and bouyancy device strapped haphazardly - nay, jauntily - across my shoulders. It was then that I realized, I was swimming out to save the life of non-other than Betty White. As I dragged her to shore, I prepared to rescuscitate her when she pulled me in closely and quickly headed for my third base with her left hand. So many on-lookers stood there and criticized my technique as we totally made out tin the sand. It was tough "putting my skills out in the public"...but through the experience, Betty and I have both really grown as individuals.

Anonymous said...

thats what I'm talkin about Holmes

Anonymous said...

Ooooo - is this the same Holmes as the infamous Holmes from www.themockdock.com? If so - your calf muscles are awesome, man.

BCA said...

The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.