Monday, January 26, 2009

Schmacebook

I am not ignoring you on Facebook.

I am not hiding from you, either.

I am simply NOT ON FACEBOOK.

That's right.

I don't think it's a useless tool, and I don't think I'm above it. I just think that - for me personally - I'm more productive without the lure of another procrastination feeder. I just thought I'd explain because I often find myself defending "my situation" in the social arena.

So let's stop ostracizing people for their sex, the color of their skin, or the fact that they haven't created an account on a social networking site.

Is there anyone else out there? Or am I all alone?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

did i hear something....i could have sworn i heard something

ajgentile said...

I was in the same anti-Facebook camp. In fact, I took it a step further and mocked my thirty-something friends who were on Facebook.

Then, late one night, I was challenged by a friend (whom I respect) to sign up.

Next thing I knew, the sun was coming up.

Try it. You WILL like it.

Anonymous said...

ya, mature a bit and lose the Myspace.

Donnie D. said...

Social networking sites...Worst-Best idea ever.

skippy said...

I'm not on Facebook. Don't know if that's good or bad.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anon #2... trade your Myspace for a Facebook.

SailHer said...

Solidarity, sister! No Facebook for me, either!

Anonymous said...

I think people just want to see pictures of you in naughty Halloween costumes. Don't fall victim to it Alison!

Anonymous said...

right on! I only have one due to peer pressure and I wind up never checking it. Even the Facebook addicts don't really know the 90% of the "friends" they have on there anyway.

thunderpoet said...

I opened a Facebook account for the sake of someone else but I quickly realized it takes far too much work to really work up a profile. And for what? To impress? I also discovered as a television and independent film producer having to contact people that you have certain "sides" that you want to show only to certain people. Being accessible as a witty goofball, for instance, is not good for business reasons. I quickly neglected Facebook. Social media is way, way overrated.